The City of Hallowell, in partnership with The Harlow and Maine Crafts Association, invites you to participate in an exhibition of luthiers’ craft and musical celebration on the weekend of October 12-14, 2018.
The exhibition, The Luthiers’ Craft, will take place at two venues – The Harlow Gallery, 100 Water Street, Hallowell and the Center for Maine Craft, 288 Lewiston Road, West Gardiner – and instruments will be selected for one venue or the other based on curatorial interests and logistical considerations. The exhibition will feature Maine-made acoustic and electric instruments – both traditional and contemporary in design – as part of the Second Annual Maine Luthiers Exhibition and Music Showcase festival weekend presented by the City of Hallowell.
The City of Hallowell sponsored the first Maine Luthiers’ Showcase last October during the Maine Crafts Association “Maine Craft Weekend” statewide event, as a celebration of Maine guitar makers and grassroots community of performing musicians. For 2018 the program is expanding to include stringed instrument makers and performances at various locations around the city, as well as craft talks, demonstrations, and speakers. Luthiers will have the option of having their instruments played by local musicians at performances throughout the weekend. Scheduled speakers this year include Jonathan Cooper and Ned Steinberger. Attendees of last year’s showcase reported that it was one of the best music events they have ever experienced in Hallowell, and everyone who participated expressed great enthusiasm for this event to become a major, annual celebration in Hallowell.
To accept our invitation, please click here for an online form – you may submit information and up to ten images for up to four (4) works –
Please feel welcomed and encouraged to share this link with any luthiers who we may have missed or not had email addresses to contact.
- August 17: Your Deadline to submit works
- August 31: We’ll let you know which of your submissions were selected for exhibition by this date. We may select one or all of your submissions based on available space and how many luthiers wish to participate.
- Sunday, September 30 12 – 4pm: 1st day to deliver instruments to The Harlow
- Monday, October 1 10am – noon: 2nd day to deliver instruments to The Harlow
- October 8 between 9am – 6pm: Deliver and install at Center for Maine Craft
Exhibitions & Receptions:
- October 5 – 14: Exhibition on view at The Harlow at 100 Water Street in Hallowell
- October 9 – November 18: Center for Maine Craft exhibition at 288 Lewiston Road, West Gardiner
- Friday, October 12, 5 – 8pm: Maine Craft Weekend Opening Reception at the Center for Maine Craft
- Sunday, October 14, 4 – 5pm: Luthier Reception at The Harlow. Exhibitors may collect their instruments after the ceremony ends.
De-installation and Pickup:
- Monday, October 15, 10am to noon: 2nd day pick up instruments at The Harlow
- November 19 between 9am-6pm: De-install at Center for Maine Craft
- October 12-14 is Maine Craft Weekend and luthiers are invited to participate! The weekend features opportunities for booth space, performances featuring Maine-made instruments, luthier discussions, guest speakers, and craft demonstrations. For more information visit: http://www.hallowell.org/luthiers